What to see?
- A walk through the historic quarter of San Mateo must include a visit to the Parish Church of La Vega de San Mateo, located in Calle Principal (Main Street), where we find a two-nave building (the one of the left dates from 1800 and the one on the right from 1895). The upper middle part is crowned by a bell tower designed by Jose Lujan Perez. The church bell, added four years after it was made, was sent from Cuba by Canary Island emigrants from the area. This church shows a predominantly eclectic style with Neo-Classical influences.
- The historic Centre of La Cantonera, located in the Tinaamar Avenue and situated in an old farmer house that dates from the XVII century, is a faithful remind of the agriculture and fishing sector of the municipality. Es one of the most important ethnographic museums of the Archipelago and gathers a collection of more than 12.000 pieces of furniture, handcraft or agriculture implements, cattle raising, weavers, ironworkers and potters.
- The route La Mina Ravine extends along Las Lagunetas and La Yedra. There is permanent water in the ravine, which conserves the vestiges of laurel forest and the old water mills here.
- The Montaña Cabrera Look out, situated on the mountain of the same name, is a wonderful observatory overlooking the basin of the Guiniguada Ravine, the borough and the Foothills of Gran Canaria, and even the city of Las Palmas.