What to see?
- Fortaleza de Ansite, a volcanic building where there are many caves which were used for dwellings and burials by the native inhabitants and where a large number of archaeological items have been found. It is also possible to see burial sites in natural caves in the fortress, normally associated with inhabited areas. Burial mounds are found less frequently in this municipality and have only been recorded in the area of Pozo Izquierdo, at the beach of the same name.
- The Museo Castillo de la Fortaleza, in the centre of Santa Lucía, is also recommended to visitors for its historical and cultural interest. It is primarily an archaeological museum, as the exhibits are of remains found in the archaeological sites of the area. Ethnographical, botanical and zoological items can also be viewed. There is a garden near the museum with autochthonous flora and fruit trees from several latitudes.
- Caldera de Tirajana is located in the central area of Gran Canaria with a southeast orientation. This is wide volcanic basin where the towns of Santa Lucía and San Bartolomé de Tirajana are located. The landscape here is considered unique, as it combines the rugged scenery of the territory, the architecture, the richness of the vegetation and the agricultural scenery.
- The Barranco de Tirajana (the Tirajana ravine) has its origins in the Caldera de Tirajana and it runs into the sea around the flat land at Juan Grande. This ravine has a length of 76 square kilometres and there the visitor can see different archaeological, botanical and geological aspects of interest. A dam called the Presa de la Sorrueda has been built in its basin. In these surroundings stand the most beautiful and extensive palm groves on the island. They are especially attractive in the Palmeral de la Sorrueda which lies near the dam.
- Pozo Izquierdo Beach, known as an area often battered by winds. It has been chosen as one of the principal places for the holding of the world windsurfing championship. In fact, this beach is the home of the International Windsurfing Centre, equipped with the facilities required for this water sport, with swimming pools and shops specializing in this activity.